Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Final Book Club Post

This book was something that I would never picture myself picking out from a shelf at a bookstore. It was intense and way out of my comfort zone, because I do not know anything from the Saudi Arabian point of view. I thought it was excellent, and it touched upon topics that many shy away from. Finding out in the last few chapters that Kareem did not only want Sultana, he wanted more wives. It was upsetting because we learned to know Sultana and wanted her to be happy because her life did not give her much to smile about until Kareem came along. With that being said, Sultana once again made us proud readers because she got the hell out of there and left Kareem back in Saudi Arabia. She also took her child with her leaving him nothing from his former life with Sultana and their child. Sultana is a strong woman, who did not have the best upbringing. Her family was very confusing and her father was not the best of men. All in all, I think as a group we learned a lot about this history of Saudi Arabia. Many of us did not know that as women, you have to cover yourself completely. We take everything for granted when it comes to our freedom and place in society because we are respected as women in our American society, if we were to step anywhere near Saudi Arabia we would have to change everything about ourselves and no longer have a voice. I am glad that we chose this book to read because we definitely got something out of it.

1 comment:

  1. I definitely agree with you that this would never be something I would pick up on my own, so I'm happy we got assigned to read it. I learned a lot about the Saudi Arabian life style. Reading this book made me appreciate all that I have as a women.

    ReplyDelete